Monday, July 20, 2009

Quilting for the Grands

There was a time when I decided that I would make a quilt for each of my dozen or so grandchildren. Doesn't that sound like a good idea? Well, since my two sons and daughters-in-law are refusing to cooperate with this plan (the dozen or so grandchildren part) I will probably end up making a dozen or so quilts for each of my (so far) three grandchildren. Whatever works, right?? Gavin is our first grandson, born in 2000, and he has collected five quilts so far.

Here he is when he was just about 6 or 7 weeks old snuggled up with the simple friendship stars quilt I made in preparation for his birth. What a cutie!
The second quilt I made for him was for his 2nd birthday in 2002. It's called "Plaid Quilt" from Debbie Caffrey's book"Quilting Seasons." It didn't just keep him warm it was also a toy!
The next two were tied comforters made from cheater cloths -- oops, I mean printed panels -- Bob the Builder in 2003 ................
................ and Spider-Man in 2004.
In 2006 it was time for a twin-sized quilt. His daddy (the engineer and quantum physics guy ) asked me to make a "Math Quilt." Looking back I think he was teasing, but since there are so many great fabrics out there I went for it and ended up making a reversible Math AND Science Quilt! The focus fabric on the front has very cool fabric that reminded me of illustrations in science books when I was in junior high. The red fabric in the four-patches has elementary math problems on it. On the back is a really fun fabric with Scientist Cats in their Laboratory.

The pics above don't show off the quilts as well as they show off Gavin, but a Gramma does have her priorities! You can see better photos of the quilts in my Flickr album if you'd like -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandypanagos/sets/


4 comments:

Tara said...

Your quilts are gorgeous! I wish I could sew even lol :)

Tiffany Becker said...

You're so talented Sandy! I also enjoyed seeing pics of Gavin when he was younger - what a cutie!

ilovebabyquilts said...

I enjoyed this post very much! I like posts where you see the child age.

Connie said...

You're such a wonderful Gramma!

hugs
connie