Wednesday, December 31, 2014

December Goal Accomplished

Ending the year with another "Finish" feels good.  It feels even better knowing I have kept a promise to my nephew, Josh.  He asked me a little over a year ago to make a wall-hanging based on the 1980's video game, The Legend of Zelda.  Last month it was all basted and ready to go.  




















I made it my "Lovely Year of Finishes" goal for December to complete the quilting and to get the binding on it.  So I set to work -- quilting!

























Here are some close-ups of the quilting from the back --










































I set to work again -- binding!

























This is one of the quilts that actually looks just as good from the back as it does from the front.  It almost looks like a second quilt.























So, now that it's finished I need to figure out when to get to St. Louis to give it to Josh.  I think it should be sooner rather than later.  He seems pretty happy with the photos, but I bet he's ready to see the real thing and hang it in his home.

I am linking up to Fiber of All Sorts for their December Finishes Party.  I was Goal #20 at the beginning of the month.




   


















Tuesday, December 2, 2014

December Goal for "A Lovely Year of Finishes"

This is my last opportunity this year to set a goal with "A Lovely Year of Finishes."   In August I started working on a Legend of Zelda wall-hanging for my nephew and talked about it here.

Recently I got the backing put together, using up a lot of odds and ends of whites in my stash.  It's interesting how different they all are.  I've decided that from now on I'm going to buy one brand of white --- and buy it by the bolt!






















Then I found some black batting in my sewing room and got the quilt top basted.

















I've been having fun quilting it this week.  Instead of doing an all-over stipple I've been playing a little bit with the designs.





































































When I finished quilting the "Potion" bottle something about it bothered me.  The more I looked at it the more I realized I would have to rip out some of the quilting.   The problem was I had quilted in the black area where I was supposed to be able to see through the bottle.  That would never do!  It looks much better now.























So, my goal for this month is to finish the quilting and put the binding on the Legend of Zelda Quilt.  That will not only be a finish, it will also be getting a UFO checked off the list!

I am linking up with Fiber of All Sorts for their December Goal Setting Party.