Friday, March 27, 2015

A Quilted Village Update

Every village needs a village green, right?  My Quilted Village does.  The pattern called for quite a few different shades of green from dark to light and everything in between.   Looking at fabrics in grayscale helps to decide which one is really darker or lighter.  I did a lot of rearranging of fabrics to get what I liked.


















All of these went into 64 quarter-square-triangles.  The first step was putting two fabrics together, drawing a line down the center and sewing 1/4" on either side of the line.


















(By the way, can you see the little "Gramma" that my grandson wrote on my sewing cabinet when he was about four years old and learning to write?  No way can I ever erase that!  And, no, he did not get in trouble.)


Those blocks are then cut down the middle resulting in two half-square-triangles.
















Those half-square-triangle blocks are then pinned, seams lined up,  to another block.

















A line is drawn down the middle of that block, it's stitched 1/4" on either side of the line then cut .....


















..... resulting in quarter-square-triangles.



















My quarter-square-triangles always end up too big and have to be trimmed, but I don't mind.  Look at that beautiful pile of green strings in the background.  I don't actually use them for anything, they're just pretty.
























The pattern called for the darkest blocks in the middle and the lightest blocks on the outer edge, so as I sewed I laid them out on the design wall.

















That looked way too controlled for me so I played a little and ended up rearranging them until I liked it.  

















Much better, right?

So the village has a green and now it needs a sidewalk.  Of course you know I am not going to make it brown like the pattern says. 

























I'm linking up with A Quilting Readers Garden for WIP's Be Gone Week 13.

7 comments:

Mimi said...

Cute, cute, cute. Did you have all those greens in your stash or did you have to go out and buy some?

Sandy Panagos said...

Mimi, I DID have all those greens in my stash! Looks are deceiving, though. Some of those pieces are barely big enough for one 5" square!

Jo said...

It's look really good. I like it in your brighter colour way! Looking forward to see the sidewalk! :)

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I was reading your previous house posts and just had to say: I LOVE your color choices!!! This is a fantastic quilt! I LOVE IT!!!! (I can imagine how good it feels to be almost done!!!)

Dar said...

Sandy, your town square green looks so much better the way you finished it up. I can't wait to see what the sidewalk will be. This is such a cute quilt. Hope you bring it to retreat.

Angie in SoCal said...

I make my quarter square triangles that way. I make them 1"bigger than the finished size I want and they come out with just a little trimming. I'm like you - rather trim than have them be too small. I love the commons you added to your village. Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone.

Rebecca said...

What a cheery green for your bright village. It works!

For the sidewalks: B&W?