Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Strings Galore!

Like most quilters, I have a difficult time throwing away small scraps and strings of fabric.  I've been tossing mine into a basket for a long time, and I've actually 
managed to make several string quilts and scrap projects.  Recently though, I've noticed that my basket is overflowing.




So I started digging.  Yikes!



















Starting out slowly I pulled some pages from a Yellow Pages book and, using a paper foundation, made just one simple yellow string block.

























Too ordinary and not enough fun!  I just started sewing strips together.





















I had seen several string quilts recently, so I pulled some gray fabric from my stash, and ended up with this cute quilt top for a baby quilt.  I believe the quilt I used as inspiration was actually made with fabric selvedge edges. 
























Then I pulled some more stash and made the backing.























When I was cleaning up the scraps and shoving them back into the basket I found something in the middle of all those strings that brought back precious memories from when my grandsons were little enough to play in my sewing room.  They had a blast with my strings basket, played for hours, and the mess only took 10 minutes to clean up.





















I highly recommend it.

Oh -- what did I find?  Aidan's little sock.  Awwwwww!   I must have sent him home without it.  I think I'll keep it.


3 comments:

Mimi said...

Aw....love the little sock. I am sure that brought back some fum memories. I am amazed at your new quilt, too. You are really on a roll. That turned out really cute. You are going to have a stash of baby quilts in no time.

Shroo said...

Awww! Li'l socky! Aww!

That's a loooooooot of fabric there...I assume that your next project will be quilting a fabulous snug wrap for a medium-sized moutain range? Oooooo......

I have fabric envy. And socky-related melty heart!
Sending hugs from Shroo's World :)x

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Oh THIS post is priceless!!! You made my day!!!!