Wednesday, August 5, 2015

August Goal - Yet Another Baby Quilt!

It's time to set my August goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes.  This is an easy one -- another great-nephew will be making his arrival very soon, and his quilt is still not finished.  I made a good start on it and blogged about it in this post.  Now it has the final borders added, and I'm thinking it looks pretty cute.

























Piecing the backing was kind of interesting.  As usual I used up the leftover fabrics from the front, and at first I was satisfied. 

























I decided it needed a little more yellow so I set about inserting a strip through the middle of the dark blue Batman fabric.  I removed a 5" strip of the Batman fabric and added a 5" strip of blue and yellow fabric.  BUT, when I went to re-sew the seam there was a big gap. And, the left side of the backing was now longer than the right side.   How does that happen?  That is not possible!
















































It just does not make any sense!  I measured and measured, and the strip I removed is the exact same size as the strip I added.  I just don't get it!  I took the rest of the (now) oversized section apart and removed a piece of the other Batman fabric then restitched it all. I will never figure this one out.  BUT, if it can happen, it will happen to me!

The important thing is that the whole thing is basted and ready to quilt.

























My goal for this month is to hand-quilt and bind this quilt and get it to baby when he arrives.  Wish me luck!

I'm linking up to Fiber of All Sorts for their August Goal Setting Party where my goal is goal #54.





1 comment:

Dar said...

Sandy, Your little Batman baby quilt is so cute. I think the problem was that you had your tongue in the left side of your mouth when you cut off the strip of batman fabric, but the inserted yellow piece was cute with your tongue in the right side. It must make a difference. lol