I thought I had cut enough to make 120 squares for a total of 30 blocks, but I ended up with extra. That happens to me quite often. Either I don't know how to make hash marks while I'm cutting, or it's "the dreaded math" and I set out to cut the wrong number of pieces in the first place. Either way, I just use the extra blocks on the back of the quilt and pretend that it's a design element.
My original plan was to have bright yellow cornerstones.
Once I had the first row sewn together, Sweet Adorable Hubby asked me if I didn't think green would look better, and guess what? It did! So, I ripped.
It still needs some yellow, though, so I think I will embroider centers into the flowers. Or maybe find some cute yellow buttons to use there? Hmmmmmm.
I had the quilt top finished last week so this week I focused on piecing the backing. Ahhh, yes, time to use up some more of that stash! I spent the past few days on it, but I wasn't really happy with the results.
First of all, I completely forgot to put the extra two blocks in. I most certainly did not want two leftover blocks. That would make me feel like I have to use them, and by using them I mean turning them into another whole quilt! So I ripped ..... again.
I added the blocks, then ripped out that large ivory piece near the top and replaced it with a pieced strip. NOW, I'm happy with it.
Time for basting and quilting. I should be able to get to that pretty quickly. This is one project that will definitely not end up on the UFO list at the end of the year!