Yikes! That is some dried up , crumbly, old batting! I started picking out the quilting so I could remove the batting and made an even more interesting discovery.
I have no idea what that is, but seriously, that batting really had to go! (It makes me wonder about all those quilts I have that my grandparents made.) I turned on the TV, tuned in to some cheesy Hallmark movies that don't take a lot of concentration, and got busy with my seam ripper.
So far, I have about 20 hours invested, an old backing, and a pile of blocks and sashing, all of which are pretty fragile.
I don't think I have nine blocks with no damage so I'll have to take apart some of the worst blocks and combine the pieces to come up with enough blocks to make it nine by nine.
The next decision will be how to stabilize the blocks before I put it all back together. I don't want to lose the character of the blocks by pressing out the wrinkles that came from all those years of using and washing.
I have a few ideas, but I need to give it some serious thought. I'll probably do a little research and ask advice from my quilty friends.
I have to say that I am really having fun working on this. I knew it would be a challenge when I offered to do it, but I can already anticipate one huge benefit - a great feeling of accomplishment when it's finished.