Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Throwback Thursday (on Tuesday)

Only six weeks into the year, and I've blown two of my goals -- sewing every day and blogging more often.   I have, however, done a lot of coughing, moaning and groaning, and sleeping.  Can you say, "I think this might be the flu"?

Rather than keeping my tens of followers hanging, I decided to dig into the depths of Excel and do a little show and tell from days gone by.  Included in my Excel spreadsheet is information on each quilt I've made including whether I've posted pics of it on Flickr or blogged about it. So, I chose a few quilts I haven't yet written about and here goes.

In 2007 and 2008 my designated charity was CASA, a national association that supports and promotes court appointed advocates for abused or neglected children. People love making baby quilts for charity, but teenagers are often overlooked, so my heart goes out to them.   I love teenagers.  They can be real stinkers sometimes, but most of them are good kids.  

I made this quilt using a lot of brights. (Surprised?) A basic square-in-a-square block with black sashing and colorful cornerstones make it a fun quilt.  At 68" x 82" it's a nice size even for a pretty tall teen.  My friend, Angela (Quilted Joy) quilted this for me.  








  















This one is a smaller twin (60" x 72").  I did very simple straight-line machine quilting .....
























..... and pieced the backing with leftovers from the front.



The third quilt for CASA is fun, too.  I used batiks this time and a pattern called "Spice Market" from the April 2007 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting magazine.  It's 68" x 83", another large twin.  Angela quilted this one as well.  

That's my Show and Tell for today.  Hopefully I'll have something more current to share real soon.  

4 comments:

Mimi said...

All beauties, but the backs are so much fun, too.

Louise said...

Such bright, happy quilts! Teens do tend to get forgotten in charity circles. Good for you for reaching out to them through CASA! My niece's sorority works with CASA and I know they do really good work.

Julie said...

I agree with you and Louise. Teens are mostly gentle spirits that get overlooked, are at risk, and would appreciate the gift of a quilt. I will have to look if CASA is in our area as I've never heard of it.

The bright quilt with black sashing really has me intrigued. While I have never made many quilts with sashing, I'm taken with the cornerstones in the bright against the black, and how that makes the quilt for me. Gosh, I don't know if I've ever made a quilt with black either? So I'm saving this idea for future reference. You may be down and miserable, but you're still inspiring. Nice work for a sick day!

Kate said...

Hope you are feeling much better. The flu has been so nasty this year. Very fun donation quilts, I really like the first one.