Tuesday, July 1, 2014

July Goal for "A Lovely Year of Finishes"

Setting a goal at all for July is kind of scary since I will be out of town for about half of the month.  I've been really motivated lately so I'm going for it!

My grandson, Noah, is ready for a new quilt.  I asked him what kind of quilt he wants (Never do that!  Just ask what color they like!) and he said he wants a lacrosse quilt.  I thought, "Oh no, where will I find lacrosse fabric?"  Then he added the fact that he also likes the University of North Carolina.  Yikes!

Well, Quiltshops.com to the rescue once again!  First, I found these cool prints from the "Sew Sporty" collection by Dan Morris for RJR Rabrics. 












































Then I ordered some of this Officially Licensed Collegiate Print.

















Figuring out how to use these prints together was the next bridge to cross, so I just started doodling.  I have no idea if I saw this idea somewhere or if it's out of my own head, but I decided it would work.  I thought that adding this black-on-navy print would work well.  It's "Nature's Basket" from Moda.  The other fabric will be used for the backing.















I got one block made and everything else cut out to take to retreat with me.






















I wasn't really loving the fabrics together in the block, but the more blocks I made and laid out on the floor, the more I liked it.  Once they were all stitched together I decided it actually looks pretty cool.  I love the way the blocks seem to float on the quilt top.  Now it needs a dark border and it will be ready to baste.   



















So, as far as goals for July go ........ I would really like to get the final border on, baste it, quilt it, and put on the binding.  In other words -- finish Noah's quilt. 

Wish me luck!! 

I am linking up to A Lovely Year of Finishes Goal Setting Party for July at Fiber of All Sorts.  























3 comments:

Mimi said...

You can do it Sandy! I know you can

Dar said...

No sweat. Put on border and baste it before coming to St.Louis. While you are here, you can start the quilting and before you know it, it will be done -- and it won't even be the end of July yet! I have faith in you!

Bluebell Ridge Handworks said...

Oh! I completely agree! The blocks seem to be floating above the background!! Don't you just love these happy surprises :o) I've no doubt your grandson will love this!