At some point during the pandemic isolation (it's all kind of a blur to be honest) my online group of quilty friends decided to have an "Orphan Block" Challenge. The challenge was to take all those blocks left over from other projects, unused sample blocks, or maybe blocks made to learn a new technique, basically sad and lonely blocks in need of a home, and put them all into one project. And believe me, it really was a challenge.
First, every single one of my orphan blocks went up on the design wall.
Then, play time! Making something out of this was a lot more of a challenge than I thought it would be. I took some of the blocks, cut and stitched them to combine them with others to make new blocks, and some of the blocks I cut into smaller pieces. It took a while to go from the above to this .....
And then it went to this.
Just a closeup.