Sunday, December 5, 2021

Isolation Charity Sewing - Part 2

Covid Isolation charity sewing didn't end with the baby quilts I told you about last time.   I made pillowcases, too, and I shopped my stash for them!

Rocket City Modern Quilt Guild donates homemade pillowcases to children in foster care through North Alabama Foster Closet.  I brought home some precut kits from our Charity Committee Chairperson and put these pillowcases together.  It was fun to do some routine sewing without using a lot of mental energy.  And by that you know I mean there was no dreaded math involved.  

I pulled these fabrics from my stash so I could make a few more.  I had bought them specifically for pillowcases on our last vacation.  At Hubby's insistence (I know.  I got a good one!) we always stop at local quilt shops when we travel.  I don't really want to add to my stash, but I want to support Local Quilt Shops, so I buy fabrics for pillowcases.  By choosing three coordinating fabrics and buying 1 1/8 yards of each I have exactly what I need for three.  

Another thing I like to do is get geometric, contemporary, or floral prints.  Not all the children in foster care are toddlers, after all. Those pre-teens and teens need some love, too.



 
I also used up some stash on a few charity quilt flimsies.  One was just a fun pattern I bought online.  "Color Pop" from Annie's Craft Store was the perfect design for all those brights I've been saving for .... well, for I don't know what!










This one was a sew-along with some online quilty friends.  


Hmmm, I guess I don't just buy plenty of brights; it looks like another favorite of mine is bright-on-black prints!



A simple "Turning Twenty" top .....




















..... and a "Disappearing Nine-Patch" finish up the charity projects.



I did a little gift quilting in the way of aprons.  Corgis for my DIL (yes, we have a corgi grand-puppy!) .....


..... and a Christmas apron for my sweet friend, Denise.

This "Four Corners Apron" pattern from Vanilla House Designs goes together quickly and makes a nice gift.  Maybe I need to make one for myself!

No comments: