Monday, November 29, 2021

Isolation Charity Sewing - Part 1

During the Covid isolation I didn't just sit around doing nothing.  Well, actually I did for the first six or seven months.  Once I came out of my funk I did get into my sewing room.  I managed to make several charity quilts for Project Linus to be donated through my guild, the Rocket City Modern Quilt Guild.

First up are two super simple quilts I made from my stack of 5" brights.  I have so many children's prints, novelty prints, and brights that every once in a while I cut up a bunch of them into 5" and 2.5" squares.  It really comes in handy having a ready supply when I need to whip up something in a hurry.  

I inserted a small yellow border to give it a little interest and used yellow for the binding to end up with two really cute toddler quilts.  







I did a few virtual sew-alongs with some online friends during isolation, and this was one of our projects.  It's a simple "Economy Block" (or as someone who didn't know that once called it "a-square-in-a-square-in-a-square block").  

Look at some of these cute fabrics!



Next up is another virtual sew-along using the "Beads" pattern by Donna Jordan.  I wanted to use some of my Asian fabrics on this one.  (Gotta bust that stash whenever I can!)  

This basic block set on point results in a really nice pattern.


Leftovers made the backing special, too.  
 

The last charity quilt I made during isolation was this "Easy Does It" pattern by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr of Modern Quilt Studio.  I used even more stash on this one.  I bet you're not surprised!



I had fun seeing how many scraps I could use in the backing.  I do love a challenge!  I started out with this .....



.....and ended up with this.



So that's it for the quilts.  I did a few more charity projects but I'll save those for next time.  See?  I told you I'd be back!

No comments: