Tuesday, June 26, 2018

And Then This Happened.....

June has been the craziest month ever!  I knew I would only be home for 10 days this month, what with two trips to St. Louis, one to Indianapolis, one to Asheville, and one to Destin.  I knew I would be too busy to get much, if any, sewing done.  BUT, I thought if I took it with me everywhere I went I could get a little hand sewing done.  AND, I really thought since I had lots of photos on my desktop of previous projects I would have time to blog at least a few times.  Huh!  Guess I was wrong.

I even thought that maybe I would be able to make at least a few hexies to add to the collection for I-have-no-idea-what-project I'll decide to make with them.  You know, for all those evenings sitting around not doing much of anything.

Then, this happened!

My son and his family are here .....

..... Hubby too, of course!

The beach is pretty amazing .....

And the food!  What can I say?!?!

So, I guess my project bag will stay exactly where I dropped it when we got here .....

..... and until we get home I'll just keep enjoying this!

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

A Yummy Prize

Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict has posted the Hands 2 Help Challenge results HERE.

It turns out I was one of 150 quilters participating this year donating 416 quilts around the globe.  

Because of all the wonderful sponsors of the event everyone's a winner.  My prize is .....

..... this beautiful Layer Cake by Moda.  That's 42 (10" x 10") fabric squares from the Hushabye Hollow collection by Lydia Nelson.  You can see the entire collection in this image. 

So, what does a quilty girl like me do when she receives a gift of 2.5 yards of gorgeous fabric? She orders more, of course!   I mean, no matter what I decide to make from my prize I'll probably need borders and backing, right?

Seriously, though, I think this collection will be perfect to make a couple of "put back for the grands" quilts.

Thank you Sarah for organizing such a great charity quilt drive, and thank you Moda and the rest of the sponsors for providing such wonderful prizes.  I'm already looking forward to next year's challenge. 

Monday, June 4, 2018

T-Shirt Quilt - The Rest of the Story

In the last update in this post Josh's T-Shirt quilt was ready to deliver to my long-arm-quilter friend, Shirley Jackson.   We chose a pantograph, selected a thread, and she got to work.

Getting regular photo updates from her was fun.

After watching the progress I was pretty excited to open the box when it came in the mail.

My friend, Denise was kind enough to make a label for me.

Next up was binding - my favorite part!


Then, it was time to deliver it.  Actually, that is my favorite part.

Oh, wait!  That smile.  That is my favorite part.

Monday, May 28, 2018

A Hypnotic Finish

Well, this turned out to be a very quilty weekend!  On Friday I made a pieced backing for a 72" x 72" quilt, on Saturday I basted it and started quilting it, on Sunday I finished quilting it and made the binding, and today I finished stitching that binding down.  I made this quilt in about three weeks!  I am a happy girl.

I like the back as much as the front.  You might even say this quilt is reversible.

I made a little dent in my stash on this one, using more than nine yards of fabric. 

I'm really excited about gifting this because the couple receiving it has a special place in my heart.  I didn't decide until the beginning of this month that I was going to make it.  Getting it done this fast just goes to show you what I can accomplish when I put my mind to it (AND don't do any housework!)  

Saturday, May 26, 2018


May seems to be going much better than last month as far as goals go.  I'm "this close" to completing the batik quilt I started at the beginning of the month.  

These two blocks make up the design.  The pattern is "Hypnotic" from the Book Strip Therapy 2 by Brenda Henning.   

I tried to lay out the blocks in a different way than the pattern dictated, but I couldn't come up with anything I liked better.  I do like the original design.   

I knew I needed to make 32 blocks, but after they were made and I started laying them out on the design wall I realized I actually needed 36.  I got a big stack of batiks out (again), cut out all the strips for four more blocks, and sewed them up.  Once it was all laid out on the design wall, guess what?  I had four blocks left over.  What??  How in the world??  You know what?  I don't want to talk about it!

Next I found a yard of yellow ombre batik in my stash that I just had to use on the back.  Might as well work in those extra blocks, right?


I usually baste quilts on my king size bed.  It's a little unorthodox, but it works for me.  I just can't crawl around and baste quilts on the floor like I used to!

First, I stretch out the backing.  This one barely fit!

Then, batting (of course) .....

..... and the top (naturally).

Lots of pins!

Throughout the process, I stop about every two or three rows of pins, roll it up,  reach under and stretch the backing at the sides and the opposite end, smooth out the top, and start pinning again.

All basted!

Even though I basted it this morning (which totally wore out my back!) I was ready to start quilting it this evening.  Of course, a lovely one hour massage this afternoon might have made it easier for me to get back to it! 

It's about one-third quilted now, so there's every reason to hope it will be done and ready to gift by next weekend.  

Linking up this scrappy quit with Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  I do believe I deserve a Whoop Whoop for that!