Sunday, December 30, 2018

GO, Cardinals!

When my sister told me she was involved in organizing a fundraiser to help with her BFF's medical bills I (naturally!) offered to make a quilt to be raffled.  I wanted to make something that would appeal to a large audience so I decided to make a gender neutral baby quilt. Then, I got to thinking about the fact that this fundraiser is being held in Cardinals country.  St. Louis Baseball Cardinals to be exact.   A lot more money could be raised from a Cardinals quilt, right? 

Really simple blocks came together fast .....



..... AFTER washing that red batik seven (yes, seven!) times to remove excess dye.  


Gotta love those color catchers, but it wasn't until the last wash cycle when I added Synthropal that I saw the results I wanted.  Next time I work with red fabric I think I'll use it the first time.  :-(

Once it was basted I wasn't sure what thread to use.   My quilting is decent, but I don't really want it to show up that much!

It's hard to tell when you look at it on the spool, but this variegated thread is blue, red, and yellow so I thought it would work well.  The quilting shows more than I wanted it to.  I just had to work slowly and do the best I could.  Well.  I always do the best I can, but, you know....

Not too shabby!

It ended up about 60" x 70", the perfect size for a snuggle quilt.

Of course, I had to add a little fun to the back .....

..... and get a few semi-creative shots!



















So, off it goes in the mail this week to my sister.  Fingers crossed!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So sweet for you to help out! Have you checked to make sure Cardinals are on board with using licensed fabric in a raffle. I have heard of people getting into legal trouble for that very thing. I love your big heart!!!

Louise said...

What a fun quilt! I hope your quilt makes lots of money for such a good cause. But I'm sorry that your sister's friend is having such a rough time.