Saturday, November 18, 2017

The Rest of the Retreat Story

I prepped all my projects ahead of time for retreat so I could just sit and sew and talk and not have to cut or think too hard or do any "dreaded math."  Each project was cut and put into a ziploc bag along with the pattern or instructions. The first thing I worked on was this "Cross Weave" pattern by Sweet & Simple Quilts from Martingale.




In case you haven't noticed by now, lately I've really been into using a complementary color in the sashing or border. I think it makes it more interesting.  (And different -- you must know I like my quilts to be different!)  I had a really cute backing fabric I had bought when I was in Paducah in April for the AQS Show.  

Except for the backing this quilt was made from stash and scraps.  In fact, this is my entire supply of oranges now. I've been doing some serious stash-busting!

The second thing I worked on was this pattern, "Easy Starburst", by Missouri Star Quilt Company's Jenny Doan.  


I had never made Half-Square Triangles using the method in her tutorial.  Starting with two squares, one print and one white-on-white, right sides together, I sewed a quarter-inch seam around the edges then cut from corner to corner to make four HST's.  It worked well and went together fast, but I ended up having to work with all bias edges which is not my favorite thing.  



(Note:  I used 7" squares instead of 10" squares in order to end up with a smaller quilt.) The HST's were then stitched into four large blocks, using the same layout .....

..... then, starting at the top right, each block was turned clockwise in order to create the star.  

I added a border and used fabrics from my stash for the back and binding. 

How about that?  Two finishes in one week!  Not only that, but two more quilts for Choose Life of North Alabama.  

See what happens when you get to go on a retreat?  

I'm linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.  Check them out and read about the projects others are working on.

Also linking up with Sew Some Love at Kat & Cat Quilts.

17 comments:

PaintedThread said...

Both of those quilts are very pretty. I like the bit of blue on the first one.

rita said...

Whoop Whoop!!!!

Mimi said...

Cute, cute. How big did these turn out? Then to top it off, they are quilted and the binding is on. Good going.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on your retreat sewing!!

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Love both your quilts! Fabulous finishes.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

I like the first quilt but I love the second. Like you I prefer not to work with bias edges either, but it is a fast way to make HSTs. You got a lot done on your retreat.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

I didn't even notice the hourglass until I saw the second photo. Beautiful finishes!

-Soma

Angie in SoCal said...

See what happens when you're organized? Congrats on two great finishes.

Kate said...

Congrats on two fun finishes. I love the warm colors in both these quilts. I tend to prefer the cooler colors, but pairing those warmer colors with white really works.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Great review of everyone's projects!!! Love the scrappy star! And Jeanne--looks so happy! And I can see why! What a lovely location.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I'm with you--don't care much for biased edge HST. But your starburst quilt turned out great!! I love it. And I would've never know about those bias edges if you hadn't said so.

Kat said...

Beautiful finishes! Thanks for linking up!

Sandra Walker said...

That’s a great quilt! Smart you to prep ahead of the retreat!

Christina said...

Great idea to prep ahead of the retreat so you just get to sew and talk! Your finishes are beautiful and great point about the new method of making half square triangles but making bias edges. Great job on some stash busting! Thanks for sharing!

Lynette said...

These are neat quilts. I love that all those oranges came from your scraps!

Dar said...

The 2 quilts look even better now that you have them quilted and bound. You did accomplish a lot on our retreat. I'm getting close to finishing my big project too. I guess I was not as "prepped" as you. :)

sew katie did said...

Great color choices. I love myself a hst!