Thursday, March 5, 2015

March Goal for ALYoF

So far, so good for my goals this year.  I've met both of my ALYoF goals, used 35 yards of my stash, not purchased any fabric, and I completed two of my UFO's.  That makes me hopeful that I can set and finish a goal for March. I want to have it done by mid-month this time.

A friend asked me to make a quilt for a fund-raiser at the school where she teaches kindergarten, Clarence Cannon Elementary in Elsworth, Missouri.  It's for a little boy in her class who is undergoing treatment for Leukemia.  The school colors are red and white so I decided to make something in those colors. Of course, all my reds needed to be washed first, but after three washings this is how much the Color Catcher was still picking up.  
























I was afraid the fabrics would be worn out if I washed them any more, so I soaked them in a Synthrapol solution to set the dye.  I hope that did the trick.

























So far, I've cut and pieced the top.























The school's website has a lot of shooting stars on it, so the plan is to put some white stars on it with raw-edge appliqué then quilt it with a large stipple.  My goal is to have this completed in the next week or so.  

I'm linking up with Fiber of All Sorts for the A Lovely Year of Finishes Goal Setting Party   

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm impressed at both your progress so far this year in meeting your goals, and also in the fundraiser quilt, which is lovely - well done!

Mimi said...

I love red and with the shooting stars, it is going to be really special.

Dar said...

Your red quilt with look smashing with the white shooting stars. Good luck on the reds staying put and not fading anymore. My experience has been that Retayne is the "color setting" solution. Synthrapol is used to get the excess dye molecules to release out of the fabric and hopefully wash down the drain with the outgoing water.

Jo said...

Wow, that's a lot of dye coming out of those fabrics! And good for you working from your stash and meeting your goals! Good luck this month. :)