Monday, August 31, 2015

August Goal Met -- Chance's Baby Quilt!

I am so happy to have completed my goal for this month.  It was for a precious little guy - our newest great-nephew, Chance.  It was fun to sit and hand quilt the first few weeks of August as I worked on this special gift.   I did some basic outlining in the blocks, a diagonal grid in the center, piano keys in the outer border, and some wavy lines in the small yellow border to give it a little interest.  





















It finished at 41" by 43" - large enough to be used into the toddler years.


















My friend Penny made a sweet (and very fitting!) label for me.  She sure does nice work!






























The new mother, our beautiful niece Ashley, was surprised when the mail was delivered a few days ago.






















She put it to good use right away, and I think young Chance approves!

























I'm linking up with Fiber of All Sorts for their ALYoF August Finishes Party.  My original goal was #54 and my finish is #51.





Wednesday, August 5, 2015

August Goal - Yet Another Baby Quilt!

It's time to set my August goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes.  This is an easy one -- another great-nephew will be making his arrival very soon, and his quilt is still not finished.  I made a good start on it and blogged about it in this post.  Now it has the final borders added, and I'm thinking it looks pretty cute.

























Piecing the backing was kind of interesting.  As usual I used up the leftover fabrics from the front, and at first I was satisfied. 

























I decided it needed a little more yellow so I set about inserting a strip through the middle of the dark blue Batman fabric.  I removed a 5" strip of the Batman fabric and added a 5" strip of blue and yellow fabric.  BUT, when I went to re-sew the seam there was a big gap. And, the left side of the backing was now longer than the right side.   How does that happen?  That is not possible!
















































It just does not make any sense!  I measured and measured, and the strip I removed is the exact same size as the strip I added.  I just don't get it!  I took the rest of the (now) oversized section apart and removed a piece of the other Batman fabric then restitched it all. I will never figure this one out.  BUT, if it can happen, it will happen to me!

The important thing is that the whole thing is basted and ready to quilt.

























My goal for this month is to hand-quilt and bind this quilt and get it to baby when he arrives.  Wish me luck!

I'm linking up to Fiber of All Sorts for their August Goal Setting Party where my goal is goal #54.