Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Oliver's Quilt

Now I can tell you about the most recent baby quilt I made.  The last time I posted I was getting ready to mail it to our newest great-nephew, Oliver.  I had actually started this one in plenty of time instead of waiting until the last minute, I just couldn't post about it until now.  I wanted to make his quilt with black and white and brights because I had given this quilt to Oliver's mama, Nikki, when she was a teenager.
















































I decided to appliqué stars onto a black and white print marked off in 5" squares.


















Then I found a great black and brights print to use for the alternate blocks. 




















Love the green I used for a little accent border!
























Hand-quilting is one of my favorite ways to relax in the evening.






































I wanted to use another shade of green for the binding, but after I made it and started sewing it on, I decided I really didn't like it .....
















..... so I tried out a red and a yellow and didn't like them either.
















Do you ever find large pieces of yardage in your stash and you can't remember why you bought it?  I didn't think so.  Anyway, I found five yards of this in my stash, and it looked perfect.































I really love this quilt.  Hubby smiles when I say that.  I say that after every quilt.


















The backing is pieced with a few bright strips to make it wide enough.





















I think little Oliver likes his quilt.  I know his mama does.  


















That makes this quilter really happy!

SaveSave

8 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Very cute little quilt Sandy. Glad you shared it with Oh Scrap!

Chantal said...

I love both quilts shown in this post. But Oliver really steal the show. So cute! Also love that star as a label. Good idea. ;^)

Vic in NH said...

Thank you for showing your thinking process as you tried different bindings. I think that your final choice was just perfect.

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow - love those quilts!!! All bright colors with black-n-white to pop them out :*). Such a cute idea to Applique the stars, as I'm sure this little guy will be the "star" of his family for quite some time LOL!!!

Nancy said...

Well it is about the sweetest baby quilt I've ever seen! I love that black with the dots and the colors you chose for the stars are perfect. The binding fabric is fun too. That's an adorable little baby on that quilt!
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh it is perfect!! And congrats on getting it to the little one on time ;-)

Angie in SoCal said...

What a darling quilt for the little precious one. Congrats, Sandy! And thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone. BTW: you won the book! I'll be emailing you.

Dar said...

Sandy, you are really finishing up some cute quilts for the fanily. I like all the ones on this post, Our retreat really helped with the finishes, huh?