Thursday, September 29, 2016

Old Wedding Quilt - It's Coming Along

Taking apart the old wedding quilt ended up being a lot of fun.  I've never ripped out that much on a single project before.  It was kind of relaxing, actually, just sitting and ripping and not having to think much, almost therapeutic.   Watching the stack of unusable pieces grow was NOT therapeutic, however.   I was beginning to wonder if anything would be left.



















(Just look at how badly worn some of these blocks are.)

























Once it was deconstructed, though, I ended up with plenty to use.  These are just some of the blocks that needed a new piece inserted.  There were also quite a few blocks that remained intact.




































The original wedding quilt had been pieced by hand.  I can't figure out what kind of thread the maker used.  It's heavier than sewing or quilting thread, but not as heavy as perle cotton or crochet thread.  
























I don't want the updated quilt to look too different from the original so I decided to use hand-quilting thread to sew it back together.


















Finally, with all the blocks finished, I started adding the sashing pieces.


















All the rows are ready now, and I'm starting to add the vertical sashing.  

















Before you know it I'll have a completed top.  Then, it will be time to move on to the next set of decisions that has to be made - what kind of batting to use, what fabric to back it with, how to re-quilt it.   Such fun!





2 comments:

Carole @ Fresh off the Frame said...

Again...WOW! What patience you have. I am glad to be tagging along on this journey, and can't wait to see what comes next. :-)

Dar said...

As you deconstruct the wedding quilt, don't you wonder what the maker was going through and thinking as she took each stitch. You are doing such a wonderful job with this. Your middle name should be Job, as my mother was so fond of saying, "she has the patience of Job". The batting has to be cotton, of course. the question being - with or without scrim. Without scrim would be closer to the original texture and feel I think.