Thursday, September 1, 2016

Old Wedding Quilt Progress

So far, this is going much better than I had hoped.  Of course, I still have a long way to go.  Thinking that I would just remove enough of the blocks to make it nine blocks square, rebind it, and put on a hanging sleeve, I got started.  The first thing I did was take off the outer border.




Then I started taking off the outside row of blocks which allowed me to get a closer look at the batting.  

























Yikes!   That is some dried up , crumbly, old batting!   I started picking out the quilting so I could remove the batting and made an even more interesting discovery.

























I have no idea what that is, but seriously, that batting really had to go!  (It makes me wonder about all those quilts I have that my grandparents made.)  I turned on the TV, tuned in to some cheesy Hallmark movies that don't take a lot of concentration, and got busy with my seam ripper.



















So far, I have about 20 hours invested, an old backing, and a pile of blocks and sashing, all of which are pretty fragile.





















I don't think I have nine blocks with no damage so I'll have to take apart some of the worst blocks and combine the pieces to come up with enough blocks to make it nine by nine.



















The next decision will be how to stabilize the blocks before I put it all back together.  I don't want to lose the character of the blocks by pressing out the wrinkles that came from all those years of using and washing.



















I have a few ideas, but I need to give it some serious thought.  I'll probably do a little research and ask advice from my quilty friends.

I have to say that I am really having fun working on this.  I knew it would be a challenge when I offered to do it, but I can already anticipate one huge benefit - a great feeling of accomplishment when it's finished.



2 comments:

  1. Holy cow!!! I don't know how else to express my incredulous admiration that you have successfully taken this apart.

    The blocks are beautiful, and I agree that you don't want to ruin them by pressing them flat. I recently observed an iron-on stabilizer being applied to the back of a deliberately textured piece by using a heat gun. The stabilizer adhered to the parts it touched, and the wrinkles were left intact. The trick was to move the gun continuously so one area wouldn't become overheated and scorch. Might be worth trying on one of your scraps to see if it does what you need.

    I'll be interested to see how things progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those weren't fun surprises! Hopefully you can salvage enough for a nice wall hanging. That is definitely going to be a labor of love to get it that far.

    ReplyDelete