Monday, February 19, 2018

T-Shirt Time

My February goal is to have all of Josh's T-shirts sewn into a quilt top. I've been working on prepping the shirts for a while, and I've been doing lots and lots of pondering.  I'm always a little nervous approaching something I haven't done before so I usually end up overthinking it.   The first thing I did was watch this You Tube video by Rob Appell from Man Sewing. After that the huge stack of shirts in my first post about this project turned into a small stack after they were deconstructed and trimmed.



















Being me, I can't just make a plain old quilt top with shirts side by side by side.  It has to be different, not totally conventional.  Well, Josh does get some credit for that since he wants some interesting shirts included - two Hawaiian shirts his grandmother made and a sweatshirt that was his grandfather's.  


















Not being able to leave well enough alone, I also want to use some necklines from the shirts .....
























..... as well as this stained and torn shirt.















And for something completely different I want to use some of this mildew stained fabric, too.  I know.  Really cool, right?



















So, now I have a rough layout on my design wall that I'm thinking is looking pretty good.  I left space to put the Hawaiian shirts in.  I just need to figure out how do that.  
























I actually have an idea that might just work.  If it does I'll show you next time.




11 comments:

Warm Quilts said...

Your post comes at the perfect time. An upcoming project is a T-Shirt Quilt and the class I signed up for this Spring has been cancelled. I am ready to get going on this and your two posts and the video link have provided much-needed guidance. Thank you and good luck with your terrific design.

Sandy Panagos said...

I am SO glad! Have fun with it.

Louise said...

This will be much more interesting than the standard t-shirt quilt! I'm curious to see how you will incorporate the necklines :)

PaintedThread said...

I like Man Sewing - he has good stuff. This looks good - have fun with it!

Mimi said...

Nothing like making a challenge more challenging. You'll do great though I am sure.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

I've never made a T shirt quilt but if I did it would be about memories, and each stain on those shirts will invoke just that. I like the idea of necklines and can't wait to see how you incorporate them.

Dar said...

WOW,I know you really do like a challenge, and you always come out with a winner. I've made several T-shirt quilts and none of them were "normal", but I'll have to say that I've never thought of using a neckline. Can't wait to see how you do that.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I typically make one T-Quilt each year. It's always a challenge!! What you've got on the design wall so far is looking good. Best of luck with those collared shirts!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I totally think this is going to work!!! Keep going.

Kaja said...

Have you seen Patty's blog? (pattythequiltlady.blogspot.co.uk) She makes great t-shirt quilts. I like the pile of shirts you are working with and those Hawaiian shirts will definitely add a bit a zing to the mix.

Lynette said...

Nice work so far! This was a while ago, so you've probably started actually sewing them. Love the neckline and Hawaiian shirts included. :)