Thursday, February 1, 2018

70273 Project Update and a Stash Report

In this post I told you about The 70273 Project and that I was putting together quilt tops from bundles of blocks I had volunteered to sew together.   There was a bit of a learning curve figuring out how to get the blocks to all fit into one top, but I enjoyed it.   I learned on the second top that I had made it harder than it needed to be, and it went a lot faster.








Each block is numbered and records are kept of who made which block.  The challenging part for me was drawing a map of how I had laid it out.  I'm so glad Hubby helped me double check my work, because I did transpose a few of the numbers.  (Yes.  In both tops!)  I guess it's not just "the dreaded math" that gets me, it's anything involving numbers.  Oh, wait.  I think that IS math.  Never mind.


The most difficult piece to work with was this really thick block using neckties.   The fact that the base fabric was vintage damask didn't help.  I made it work, though! Instead of sewing a regular seam I folded the adjacent block edge over and stitched it down from the top.  I don't know why, but that seemed to work better. Whew!
























Piecing the second top went much faster, but there were some fun blocks in this one, too.








It's really intriguing to see such a variety in the materials used to create the Red X's.  There were velveteen ribbons ......

..... hand stitched X's, grosgrain ribbons .....

..... printed ribbons, satin ribbons, rick rack .....


..... even felt.  (The blue painters' tape on the back is part of the numbering system and will be removed before quilting.)


As with the neckties some blocks are very creative, using netting, lace, and braided ribbon, among other assorted textiles.



These tops are ready to go to the post office, then off to the volunteer quilters.  

It didn't actually take a lot of time so if you are inclined to help check out these websites.  There are many ways to volunteer.  http://thebarefootheart.com/introducing-the-70273-project/  or www.the70273project.org



Another stash-busting year is off to a good start. My goal is to use 100 yards this year.  After all, I did that in 2015 when I was laid up with a broken arm for 6 weeks or so, which means I have no excuse.  Right?

Fabric Added in January  -   3 yards
Fabric Used in January  -  13.78 yards 
Fabric Added Year to Date  -  3 yards
Fabric Used Year to Date  -  13.78 yards

Net Fabric Used in 2018  -  10.78 yards 









5 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how different people interpret the same thing so differently? I imagine the neck ties were so thick because the pieces were from the whole tie, not cut open and the lining removed. What a labour of love on your part Sandy, not only the sewing but also recording the donors per block. Well done, it is a job worth doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love these quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilts were very ingenious. I didn't know you could use all sorts of materials for the X's. How neat is that! You do such good work and knowing how hard it is to make all kinds of different sizes go together (regardless of how good you are at math), you did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, you do a really great job with moving the fabric out. My January was abysmal in terms of Net fabric gain. :P You did a great job with the tops, and I'm glad you introduced me to the 70273 program. I'm looking forward to contributing.

    And you know - I think I'm going to find out how to get an exhibit in our area coordinated. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Between all the unique blocks and your creative layouts, these quilts are so interesting and dynamic! Thanks for your hard work on this important project.

    ReplyDelete