Sunday, September 1, 2019

My First One Block Wonder


I bought this fabric almost 10 years ago thinking I would make a One Block Wonder (OBW), but I didn't buy enough so it has been patiently waiting in my stash for me to do something with it.  

























A friend of mine was teaching the OBW in an online quilt group I help moderate so I decided to see what I could do with it.  I didn't have enough repeats of the fabric to make a very big quilt so I set out to do what I could.  I liked the way the blocks were looking.  With only 33 blocks I was still only going to have enough for a wall-hanging, though, and I wasn't sure I wanted that to happen.







































Since you need six repeats to cut out enough triangles for hexagons, and I only had three repeats left,  I decided to play.  I made half-hexagons with some of the triangles and put them together .....

























..... and I just cut out whatever triangles I could using the leftover scraps.  I mixed those up into half-hexies.





















It was fun to really play and see what kind of layout I could come up with.  It went from this .....





















..... to this .....





















..... and once I got the borders on it looked like this.

It's still not very big but definitely big enough for a fun baby quilt.   A trip to my LQS ended with the perfect backing fabric.

I'm going to go a little outside the box on this one and do some big stitch quilting with Perle Cotton.   It's all basted and ready to go.  I'll keep you posted!




12 comments:

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Sandy, what a great idea. Your quilt is really lovely.

Kaja said...

Congratulations on a great finish and on doing it your own way!

Marly said...

Brilliant idea, Sandy, with a great result. Better a baby quilt than a piece of fabric residing in a cupboard, any day!

Louise said...

Oh, I love the colors in this piece! Some baby will be very lucky to receive it :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sandy, that is really pretty and bright! I've never tried a OBW quilt, but it looks like fun!

Julie said...

I love how that fabric spoke to you years ago, and continued to haunt you. I think it's a gorgeous make, and you did well with what you had! I've quilted OBW for other people, but never made one myself. May have to give it a try now.

Kate said...

You made good use of the fabric and ended up with a very spectacular quilt. That electric blue border really jazzes up the whole top.

Michelle said...

Fantastic! Absolutely gorgeous!

Lisa J. said...

Wonderful job on this quilt here. It will make a fun and interesting baby quilt. I love that border.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh my, did that ever turn out pretty! Very cool!

chrisknits said...

This is on my someday list, I just need to find the right fabric!! Yours is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

That looks wonderful. So glad you finally used that "old fabric". Dar