Thursday, March 1, 2012

It's Official . . . . I'm a Doofus


When my friend's daughter, Naomi, was a little girl I made a lot of her clothes.  Because I thought that someday I would make a wedding quilt for her I set aside a 12" square of fabric from a lot of the garments I had made for her.  
When she got married several years ago I made a 4-Patch Posie quilt for her instead......
......and I set aside the fabric squares for a "someday" baby quilt.  When I learned that she is expecting I got out the scraps and started on her quilt.  I looked through my stash to see if I had any larger pieces of those fabrics I had saved and kept finding more and more fabrics that I just knew I had used for her little dresses.  


This is the finished quilt.  I wasn't able to use enough of the fabrics on the front because there were so many, so I used them on the back and also in the binding.  This is the most special quilt ever!  Naomi's baby dress fabrics in her baby girl's quilt!  I even hand-quilted it.












































I thought it would be fun to include in this post some photos of Naomi wearing the dresses I made for her.  But when I looked through all my photos, I could only find pics of her little sister, Joanna in dresses out of most of these fabrics.  Hmmmm, I know kids wear hand-me-downs, but why are there so many photos of Joanna opening gifts from me - gifts of little home-made dresses?  Little home-made dresses made from these fabrics?

Yup, I'm a doofus.  Some of the fabrics in this quilt actually are from Naomi's clothes, but a lot of them are from Joanna's clothes.  I didn't figure it out until I had already named the quilt "Memories of Naomi" and mailed it to her, just in time for the baby to arrive in a few weeks.  She was really happy when she received it and thinks it's just beautiful.  But, for some strange reason she didn't mention my great idea of only using fabrics from the clothes I made for her.  (Silly Me!)

11 comments:

Barb's Cats and Quilts said...

If not remembering who wore what 30 years ago qualifies you as a doofus, move over, Sandy, you're about to have LOTS of company.

The 4-patch posie is one of my favorite quilts of yours.

Mimi said...

Sandy, that quilt is adorable. Sometimes it takes awhile for the young ones to appreciate what quilts are all about. I think it is wonderful that you saved those fabrics all this time. I think I have gotten rid of most of my old stuff. You did a wonderful thing.

Sandy Panagos said...

Ohhhh, I am sure she appreciates it. She comes from a long line of quilters. That last part was a little tongue in cheek.

Lizzykay7 said...

She LOVES it and it brings back so many memories not just of the things you made for her but for the little things you made for her little sister that were just beautiful! She was so excited to get the quilt and has it packed to bring the baby home in. ~ Even so…it brought a lot of precious memories to their mother! Thank you!!!

Sandy Panagos said...

OH!!!!! I was secretly hoping she would use it to bring baby home!! I am SO excited!! Now you know I need a picture of that! Love you guys!

Naomi said...

You shouldn't feel like a Doofus at all. The quilt is a work of art!!! Just amazing! I actually enjoyed having a few of Joanna's dresses on there. I remember one of my favorites was the snowflake one with the white smocking. Just a gorgeous dress. Definitely brought back a lot of wonderful memories. The quilt is now waiting in a special spot to bring a special little girl home hopefully very soon. I will be sure to send you a picture.

Sandy Panagos said...

Naomi, you are SUCH a sweetheart!!! Can't wait to see your little one wrapped up in that quilt. Love you!!!

Shirley J said...

What a lovely and thoughtful person you are. Both quilts are wonderful.

Dar said...

Sandy, Your baby quilt is precious as is the sentiment behind it. What a lucky person Naomi is to have you as an aunt. You do such beautiful work and are always so thoughtful. I wonder how many moves those dresses have made in 30 years.!

Gloria Hill said...

This has been my favorite posting to date, especially with all the comments. Thank you, Sandy, for letting us share in such a precious treasure. I'm looking forward to that picture, too! {And praying for Naomi, LizzyKay, and Baby Girl.} Love to all.

Anna Huckabee said...

Naomi showed me the quilt the other day when we were talking on Skype. It is beautiful! You did such a wonderful job with it! Quilts are always special, but quilts made from clothes you wore and loved are even more so. You are my inspiration. I've been carefully hoarding away scraps from every fabric I've used to make clothes for my girls so someday I can do the same.