Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Special Request

When someone asks you to make a quilt because the last quilt you made for her is completely worn out, it is easy to say, "Yes!"  I love it when people actually use the quilts I make for them.   I had made a Double Pinwheel quilt for my sister, Dee Dee,  back in 2000.  It was one of the first quilts I made once I got back into quilting after putting it on old to home-school my sons for over 20 years.  
























It may look pretty, but it wasn't well made.  I learned from my mother and grandmother back in the 60's so I used inexpensive fabrics leftover from garment sewing to piece the top, a bed sheet for the backing, and store bought bias tape for binding.  It's no wonder it started falling apart after only 11 years!  Not to mention I never told Dee Dee to wash in cold water with a small amount of mild soap and not to wash it too often.  I've learned a lot since I made this one!


I had some Pineapple Blossom blocks from a group block swap I was involved in last year.  I only had 24 blocks from the swap and I needed 121 to make a king size quilt.  (I know.  I should have made a baby quilt with these!)  










This is another one of those quilts made from stash and scraps that "didn't cost anything" to make.  (I still haven't convinced Hubby of this logic.)  


The money I saved on fabric (ahem...) I spent on having my friend Angela from Quilted Joy do the quilting for me.  She always does a gorgeous job.










400 inches of binding takes  awhile to sew on.


























But, it looks pretty all stitched down.


I don't have a design wall (or design floor either!) large enough to get a good photo of a king size quilt, so I threw it on my guest room bed to take a picture.  












It turned out well and I hope it lasts Dee Dee a long time.  Really!  I hope you are listening, Dee Dee!!

14 comments:

Jan Maree said...

Oh my goodness it is gorgeous - such a lucky sister! Adopt me?

Mimi said...

yes...your sister is very lucky. Now don't forget to give her some quilt soap and good instructions on how to take care of that special quilt.

Unknown said...

It looks so pretty draped over MY bed there in AL. :)

Lisa said...

Wow! It's a beauty. Sure she'll love it.

Beatriz said...

Living and learning! You´ve been doing a great job even though I like the first one you despize so much!

Gloria Hill said...

So bright & cheerful ~ a happy quilt that will be fun to use. You spoil those sisters! :o)

Dar said...

It is a wonderful quilt and you are a great sis to make her another one so beautiful. I love that block. I may have to start saving my scraps for that too--right after I get my other "scrap quilts" finished!! Beautiful work.

Anonymous said...

Sandy - that looks fabulous. If DeeDee doesn't want it I will take it. The pinwheel quilt looked beautiful too. I like it when my quilts get used up too. Nice job.

Jan

Marilyn said...

Sandy, it looks beautiful. How nice to have sisters that love your quilts. I always want mine to be used and they have been. Lucky DeeDee!

Mamaskeeto said...

Sandy, the quilt is just stunning!

Sharon~Two Bits Patches said...

It does look good Sandy. And free as well! One good thing about looking at the first quilts you ever made, you realise just how far you've come as a quilter.

Anonymous said...

love that quilt sandy!!!

Dar said...

Sandy, I was recently bestowed the Liebster Award for my blog by a blogger friend in Music City, and now I am adding you to my nominees. Check out my blog post to see what this is all about. I really appreciate all your support and encouragement in my life. Love ya.

sew katie did said...

I love myself something scrappy. This is awesome!