There's a fun place out in Blogland called 15 Minutes Play where quilters are encouraged to make their own fabric by sewing together small scraps and then using that "made fabric" in their quilts. I participated in a block swap in 2011 in which each player, when it was their turn, could request blocks of their own design, and the other participants made and sent that block. I blogged about it HERE. I requested two blocks -- one neutral block of made fabric and one color block of made fabric.
I asked that they be slashed, switched around and re-sewn. Like this --
I made the purple blocks and received 12 more sets from the swappers.
They stayed on my design wall for a while and then were hidden away with the rest of the UFO's. Since this is my "Year of the UFO" they are once again seeing the light of day, and this is my current project.
I didn't think I would like the look if I had just sewn them together into rows. I needed to play. So I slashed .....
..... shuffled .....
..... then added 1" strips of a complementary color.
I still wasn't happy, so I slashed some more and added another strip.
Now, THAT is looking interesting! I played all day yesterday and was able to finish the blocks and get them sewn together.
I'm really starting to like this idea. I need to give the borders some thought, but I have several ideas in mind. I have a feeling this one won't be a UFO much longer!
Summer Sampler 2018 :: Shenzhen
1 day ago