Saturday, January 14, 2017

What Is It With Purple?

Purple is not my favorite color.  It's pretty far down on the list, in fact.  In the last two years I've made three quilts for people whose favorite color is purple.  First, it was Gloria's violets, then it was Esther's stack and whack, and finally, it was Shawn's Triforce.   I've been so happy having a break from purple!  Until now.  I decided to participate this year in So Scrappy's 2017 Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Each month she chooses a color and challenges her readers to use that color in a project.  January's color is ---- sigh ---- purple. 


My basket of strings didn't yield much.  Even all the way down to the bottom.  


I decided to make string blocks with leftover purple scraps from my stash and a small print.  I keep a copy of the Yellow Pages in a bottom drawer in my Sewing Room for such a time as this.  It makes a good foundation.


  



I didn't want to start a new project just to have it become a UFO, but sewing strips onto paper goes pretty fast.  
























Pulling the paper off, not so much.  It gives me something to do while watching a Hallmark Christmas movie way after Christmas, though.


I have 16 blocks made ......























...... so far.  And the rest of the month to play with purple.  (Oh, joy!)

I am linking up with Scrap Happy Saturday.   You may want to look at some of the other purple projects being worked on this month.





7 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

Wow, 16 blocks! That's a lot of blocks so maybe you should give yourself a bye for the rest of the month....don't want you to have purple overload ;-)

The Joyful Quilter said...

For not loving PURPLE, you certainly got a LOT of blocks done!! Looking forward to seeing what happens as the months progress.

Gloria said...

Ummm... Purple Overload - is that even possible?... Nope, can't be (says the proud owner of your/my Violets quilt)! I am loving your block! Sorry for your pain, but thanks for the delight of watching you create another purple masterpiece. :)

Kate said...

That's quick work, 16 pretty purple scrappy in a week!

canuckquilter said...

That's a nice chink of purple taken care of. Take heart - it won't seem so purple once colors from other months are mixed in with it :)

Terri said...

Nice start! I've only been able to get fabrics cut for my project (had a quilt class to prepare for, then I went out of town this past weekend). Hoping for some sewing progress tomorrow!

And your post reminds me. We haven't received a phone book in longer than I can remember (or Mister has been tossing them with my knowing), but I think I might have one stashed in a drawer in my room!

Dar said...

Now Sandy, those are the most beautiful string blocks I've ever seen --mainly because they are beautifully purple. That is the color of royalty, peace and natures' perfect color. Looks like you are off to a good start for the RSC project. If you need any more purple though, don't hesitate to ask me. You know I have a store full. lol