Monday, January 5, 2015

Quilts for Savannah and Sahara

When I was in St. Louis last summer I made it a priority to stop by one of my favorite quilt shops, Janie Lou to buy something.   I chose this book by Camille Roskelley and some great fabrics (Storybook by Moda) for twin baby quilts.  We had twin great-nieces coming in October, and I wanted to be ready.




















Even though the pattern has Flying Geese blocks, which I really hate making, it was a fun pattern with which to work.  These components.....






























.....turned into this block.....






















.....and the blocks turned into these quilts. 















Most of the time I hand-quilt baby quilts.  

























This time I waited too long to get started, and I really didn't think about how much quilting there would be.  By the time I finished quilting them my fingers were really, really sore.  I will spare you that picture!

My sweet friend, Penny, made these beautiful embroidered labels for me.













I had trimmed the corners off the Flying Geese blocks.....

















.....so I ended up with enough Half-Square Triangles to make a couple more baby quilts.  These are just the blocks from the peach quilt.  I also have the turquoise blocks to use.















Don't these precious babies look like they need to be covered up with some nice warm quilts?

I was so happy to have the opportunity to take the quilts to them in person.  SO much more fun than mailing them!

4 comments:

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

What a sweet gift. Those babies are adorable!

Mimi said...

They turned out so nice AND those babies are adorable.

Melia Mae Quilting said...

Beautiful quilts! I just love the colors and the design. You did a fantastic job!

Dar said...

Sandy, those are two sweet babies and your quilts are perfect. That is a great picture of YOU holding them too.