After setting aside the Old Wedding Quilt for a while I've been excited to be back to work on it. I don't think any of the blocks from the original quilt were the same size, neither were the sashing strips or cornerstones. That made it interesting (and a real challenge!) to put it all back together and get it to be square. In order to make it lay flat I cut and marked the backing and batting and made the reconstructed top fit within those lines, then used a lot of pins to baste. The plan is to quilt it into submission!
I've tried to maintain as much of this quilt's character as possible. It was originally hand pieced using a heavy thread I haven't been able to identify and quilted with what looks like crochet thread. I used hand quilting thread to piece it, and I'm using a medium weight Perle cotton to hand quilt it.
I'm making steady progress every day and loving every minute.
It won't be long now, and I'll be putting on the finishing touches. As long as this is taking it is still a labor of love.
When it's done I'll tell you a little about the love story behind the quilt!
Everyday Improv & More with Seattle MQG
18 hours ago