These two blocks make up the design. The pattern is "Hypnotic" from the Book Strip Therapy 2 by Brenda Henning.
I tried to lay out the blocks in a different way than the pattern dictated, but I couldn't come up with anything I liked better. I do like the original design.
I knew I needed to make 32 blocks, but after they were made and I started laying them out on the design wall I realized I actually needed 36. I got a big stack of batiks out (again), cut out all the strips for four more blocks, and sewed them up. Once it was all laid out on the design wall, guess what? I had four blocks left over. What?? How in the world?? You know what? I don't want to talk about it!
Next I found a yard of yellow ombre batik in my stash that I just had to use on the back. Might as well work in those extra blocks, right?
I usually baste quilts on my king size bed. It's a little unorthodox, but it works for me. I just can't crawl around and baste quilts on the floor like I used to!
First, I stretch out the backing. This one barely fit!
Then, batting (of course) .....
..... and the top (naturally).
Lots of pins!
Throughout the process, I stop about every two or three rows of pins, roll it up, reach under and stretch the backing at the sides and the opposite end, smooth out the top, and start pinning again.
Even though I basted it this morning (which totally wore out my back!) I was ready to start quilting it this evening. Of course, a lovely one hour massage this afternoon might have made it easier for me to get back to it!
It's about one-third quilted now, so there's every reason to hope it will be done and ready to gift by next weekend.
Linking up this scrappy quit with Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.
Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict. I do believe I deserve a Whoop Whoop for that!