Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Scrap Attack Goal - January

It's the first Wednesday of the month, and that means it's time to see what my Scrap Attack Goal is for January.  I had my grandson pull a slip from the bag.

























Hooray!  It's an easy one.  The first goal for the year is to cut up my blue scraps into useable pieces.  (Can you tell I'm glad?)






Fortunately my pile of blue scraps is on the smallish side.

Well, maybe it's not that small, but wait until you see the greens!

I've started with the smaller pieces, pressing and stacking. The plan is to cut them into 2", 2.5", 3", and 3.5" squares, and 2.5" x 4.5" bricks.  What's left will be cut into strips, and pieces less than 2" are going into the trash.  (Don't tell anyone.)  By the way I'm only cutting up scraps - not stash.  I want to make sure I have large enough pieces left for other projects.  

I'm hoping to get this done quickly.  I have lots more goals to work on, and I need to get busy!

I'm linking up with Sarah's Scrap Attack 2018

11 comments:

PaintedThread said...

Lots of cutting! A nice pile.

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Love the pull a goal out of the bag idea. I must remember that when I am feeling unmotivated! My kids would happily do the honors!

Mimi said...

I cut up all my red/gold and blues a while back to make veteran quilts and was sorry when I needed something red after that. I didn't have any! So, good luck. Hopefully you will be able to use these sizes when you need them.

Bonnie said...

Good luck! My blues and greens are the largest color collections in my stash. I hate cutting up scraps but I do like having precuts every once and a while!

Chantal said...

You sound very motivated to see this pile of blue gone. Good luck. ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Happy slicing and dicing!! I have to tell you though, I wasn't happy to hear that you throw away pieces smaller than 2". I about had a panic attack thinking about those poor 1" to 1.5" pieces!! They must be SEW frightened it that big dark trash can. :o((

Louise said...

Aw, it's OK to have 2" as your cut off for not saving scraps! Whatever system works for YOU and makes it fun and easy for YOU to quilt. I'm guessing that once you get those blues all whipped into shape, you'll be inspired to sew a blue quilt :)

Anonymous said...

Easy goals are good the first month. Sounds like a cutting plan that leaves you with lots of usable pieces.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What is it with greens? I have so much green that was given me, it is over-running the stash!

Julie said...

Cutting up your scraps is hard work, but the difference in organization is sweet! I hate those weird leftover cuts. My problem is seeing all those pretty stacks of 'pre-cuts', and using those up, too. Just gotta keep sewing! The best of luck whittling your scraps down this year.

Kate said...

Having a plan is half the battle when dealing with scraps. Sounds like you are off to a good start on taming your scrap bins.