Thursday, March 15, 2018

Blue Tom and Jerry Quilt

My Scrap Attack goal for March is to make something from the Tom and Jerry fabric I have had stashed away for almost 10 years.  It wasn't just fabric that was stashed away, though.  I had actually cut out two pairs of pajamas from it for my grands.  Then I stashed it away!  This week I pulled out the blue fabric to decide what to make.  The cut pieces plus the leftovers added up to plenty, so there's enough for a toddler quilt.

I decided on a simple "Over and Under" pattern with white for the sashing. 

Strip piecing made for simple sewing, and the blocks went together fast.

It didn't take long to get the rows put together.

Getting all the rows into a top didn't take long either.

It needs a plain white border, right?  That's the easy part, right?  Hah!  I think I spent more time on the border than I did on making all the blocks and putting the whole thing together.

I didn't want any seams in the borders, but a width-of-fabric strip wasn't long enough.  (Or I messed up.)  I decided to just put squares in the corners.  It didn't work.  (Or I messed up again.)  Then I decided to put a filler piece on each side.  I cut them wrong.  (Yes, that means I messed up yet again.)

Every quilter knows to walk away when things are going this way, right?   The time to take a break is actually when things first start going this way.  I kept working and finally finished, but I am definitely not happy with the results. Maybe if I put enough quilting in the borders it will look better.  Right?

Finding the perfect backing fabric in my stash saved the day, so tomorrow will be basting day.  Then quilting.  Then done.  

After all the fussing I really do like this quilt.  It will end up going to the 2018 Hands 2 Help Charity Quilt Challenge.  If you're a quilter you should definitely think about joining the challenge.  This year they've chosen three charities to support with quilts - Little Lambs Foundation for Kids, Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo, and Victoria's Quilts Canada.  Little Lambs is the perfect place for Tom and Jerry for sure.  I'll have it ready to mail before you know it!

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  Can I get a Whoop Whoop?



  1. that reminds me... I think I have the start of a shirt that's also been 'in hiding' for about 10 years and was also for a grandchild. I guess I'll have to dig it out tomorrow to see what, if anything, I can do with it. I'm pretty sure it's at least partially assembled.. probably just needs collar and button holes. That Tom & Jerry fabric is super cute!! Can't wait to see a pic of the finished quilt.

  2. Sandy, if you use a simple straight line FMQ in the direction of those border seams with a turn at top and bottom, it will easily hide the seam. Also, it will give just a bit of special treatment to that border. How cute would it be to add a little mouse or even some "mouse holes" for Jerry to duck into?

  3. What a great way to recycle your unfinished PJs. So sorry you had all those trials and tribulations with the borders. It's a very cute quilt.

  4. That pattern works so well with a fun novelty print like Tom and Jerry! And how perfect is that backing? You really lucked out! A few seams in the border won't show at all after quilting and washing, you'll just see nice texture with the cartoons as the stars of the show :)

  5. It turned out pretty cute; but for frustration sake, you probably should have walked away for a little while. lol. Love the backing you found in your stash!!

  6. I hear you on the making mistakes and stopping! When I start making mistakes I try to stop before I make even more. That was a great pattern to use with your novelty print. Must keep that in mind. And, what a great "ad" for Hands2Help!

  7. Well done for sticking with it and finishing your borders. I think once it's quilted no one will notice, though you're probably the only one who would notice anyway!

  8. It's so maddening when that happens! What a fabulous quilt, though, and yes - you had the *perfect* backing for it.