Sunday, March 20, 2022

Sailboats for Captain Ivan

Now that it's been gifted I can tell you all about the baby quilt I've been working on.  My newest great-nephew, Ivan, turned three months old last week, so his quilt got to him in plenty of time.  Almost record time for me, lately!   His mommy chose a nautical theme for his nursery, so I wanted to do a traditional Sailboat Block quilt.  

Do you know how many variations of Sailboat quilts there are?  A lot!  After looking at ideas I sketched one on my handy-dandy graph paper and based the whole thing on 2.5" squares.  After I had cut out 306 squares, I realized I could have saved a lot of time by cutting out rectangles for some parts of the blocks.










That's not even a "I can't handle the dreaded math" issue; it's more of a "I wasn't really thinking" issue!  

Something else I didn't think through was the fact that when you make HSTs (Half Square Triangles) from striped fabric half will be vertical and half horizontal.  Like this.
















I wanted all my sails to go in the same direction.  The way the wind blows, right?  I mean, these are things you really have to think about when making important design decisions.  That's why I ended up having to add 60 horizontally striped HSTs to my orphan blocks collection.










Is this the cutest low volume background print?  Perfect for this quilt!









Great-nephews/nieces always get hand quilting from their Aunt Sandy.  I have to admit all those squares made it easier to decide on echo quilting for the quilting design.

Oops, I didn't get a photo of the "label" after I washed it.  Please ignore the pencil marks!








 

Another happy quilt for another happy baby.  "Captain Ivan" loves his quilt.



No comments: