Thursday, September 22, 2022

A New Old Project

When I was working on Kacie's quilt in 2021 (you can read about it here) I pieced a backing for it using leftover fabrics from the front along with a few pieces from my stash.  I liked it so much when it was finished that I decided to turn it into a quilt top at a future date instead of using it as a back.













I added an orange strip .....







 






..... and knew it needed more, so I set it aside.  A few weeks ago I was in the mood to get something off my UFO list, so I pulled it out and put it up on the design wall and waited for inspiration to strike.

I found these squares I had appliqued in January of 2020 when I started my temperature quilt.  That plan was a bust.  I didn't even make it through the first month!  Hmmm, could I work some of these into my design?










Yes.  I could.













Some of of them I added by ripping out sections and inserting in a new strip -










Some of them I added using raw edge applique -













Wow!  The color in this photo is really bad.  You can see in the photos up there ^ that it's two really cool shades of green.  Of course every shade of green is really cool, but let's move on.

Next, I auditioned some strips of orange and grey in the lower half .....













I said that once those strips were sewn in I was going to call it "done" no matter what.  Well, you know how that goes.   I made a few more changes in the top half, and now it really is done!













My LQS came through when I set out to find a backing fabric with grey and teal and orange in it.  Isn't this fabric the best?  It's from the Love Always AM collection by Anna Maria for Free Spirit Fabrics.   You should see this in the other color ways.  You really should.  So fun.










And speaking of fun..... The person I'm going to gift it to is going to absolutely LOVE this quilt.  Seeing that is one of my favorite kinds of fun.


Linking up with Scrap Happy Saturday

4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is neat as can be! Great way to use up some strips and pieces that didn't fit anywhere else. Perfect backing,too! I'll enjoy seeing how you quilt this one!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love the fact that you were able to work those orphan blocks into your design, Sandy! Best of luck with the quilting.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, it looks like your abandoned blocks found their real purpose in life!!! And yes, I do love that backing you got. I've seen it in a number of color ways around the internet. Love those coneflowers!!!

Preeti said...

Kudos to you for meeting your monthly goals. I wish I could say the same. Love those applique circles on square blocks. They are excellent seeds and who knows what they could sprout and grow into. Haven't we seen enough temperature quilts already? I too love that AMH fabric and I have used in International Sister Quilt Blocks :-) Looks like I have combined two posts into one comment. Ah well, is it Friday yet?